- This event has passed.
Culture Pop! Drawing the Unseen
October 6 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$5
Join us at our first Culture Pop! of the 2017-18 Season on October 6, featuring:
- Preview Drawing the Unseen exhibition
- View pop-up exhibition by 2017-18 Artists-in-Action
- Surrealist drawing activity: Exquisite Corpse
- Literary readings by local writers
- Live jazz by Eastside Combo
- Open Art School studios
- Light bites by Puff ‘n Stuff Catering
- Cash bar with fine wine & craft beer
Admission: $5; free for A&H members
About the Drawing the Unseen: Artists Explore the Subconscious exhibition:
October 6 – December 17, 2017
Visual artists have long sought to make visible that which is unseen, to provide evidence to the wrestlings of their subconscious. Beginning with our earliest ancestors, drawing — the technology of mark making — has been the most immediate method of this expression. This exhibition features the original surrealist watercolors by J. André Smith that became the illustrations in his 1936 book Art of the Subconscious. The adjoining galleries will showcase works on paper by artist who are all investigating aspects of the unseen. This diverse group will provide a comprehensive example of the disparate applications of drawing within the contemporary art world. Participating artists include: Matt Duke, Ian Jones, Anthony Deal and Kathryn Cellerini Moore.