Culture Pop: Untold Stories
July 15, 2016 from 6:30 – 9 pm
Free for A&H Members & First Green Bank cardholders; $5 for Not-Yet-Members
Presented by First Green Bank
Not your typical exhibition opening, Culture Pop! connects guests with the artists and the art itself. In addition to being among the first to see new exhibitions, guests also enjoy live music, poetry readings, complimentary food & cash bar with fine wines, craft beer and more. Guests get a unique glimpse of the A&H campus after nightfall.
Untold Stories, presented by Duke Energy, in A&H’s Maitland Art Center, features:
Inspired Storytelling: Tomengo’s Maitland Project
A&H’s former Artist-in-Action Trent Tomengo presents ‘The Maitland Project’ a series of oil paintings inspired by photographs, artifacts and profiles of working-class residents of Maitland and its surroundings from the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The African American Narrative
(Select works from the Polk Museum of Art) An exhibition recognizing noted contemporary African American artists including Faith Ringgold, Radcliffe Bailey, Howardena Pindell and Lorna Simpson, working in the narrative tradition to address personal and historic themes. Pieces from the African American Narrative are on loan from the permanent collection of the Polk Museum of Art in Lakeland, which began in 1983 and now includes works by nationally and internationally recognized artists.
The A&H’s Maitland Historical Museum will also be open, and the Lake Apopka Farmworker Memorial Quilt will be on display. The quilt, created by community members, brings to the forefront the effect of pesticides on farmers.
Watch the campus come alive with countless activities:
- Collaborate on an interactive art-making activity: Clothesline Storyline
- Engage in 10 Questions with Trent Tomengo, led by A&H’s Chief Curator Rebecca Sexton Larson
- Enjoy music by Daniel Heitz Band
- Hear readings from local writers and poets
- Meet A&H’s Artists-in-Action Anthony Deal, Dan L. Hess and Martha Lent, and Writer-in-Residence Danny Powell
- View pop-up exhibition by Anthony Deal
- Witness a display featuring one of the Lake Apopka Farmworker Memory Quilts, in the Maitland Historical Museum
- Snack on complimentary appetizers
- Plus, a cash bar with fines wines and craft beers is available
Special thanks to our partners: Duke Energy, First Green Bank and Performing Arts of Maitland.
Mark Your Calendar for Upcoming CULTURE POP! Events
Special Thanks to our Sponsors & Partners!