Discover Artistic and Architectural Inspiration in Maitland
The Maitland Art Center was founded as an art colony in 1937 by visionary American artist and architect, André Smith (1880-1959). This tradition continues at the Maitland Art Center today, with gallery exhibitions, art programming, and a strong curriculum of art instruction in an intimate atmosphere. Visit this historic, aesthetic gem set in the middle of busy Central Florida. The Art Center is one of the few surviving examples of “Mayan Revival” or fantasy architecture in the Southeast. On September 30, 2014, the Maitland Art Center became the first National Historic Landmark in the four counties of Central Florida and one of only 44 located in Florida.
March 6 – May 16, 2015
At the center of Art31: Sanctuary is award-winning photographer, Clyde Butcher’s series Nature’s Places of Spiritual Sanctuary. Referred to as the Ansel Adams of the Everglades, the majestic beauty, boldness and depth of Clyde Butcher’s photographs have earned him recognition as the foremost landscape photographic artist in America today.
A&H’s Maitland Art Center (formerly the Research Studio) was created as a sanctuary where artists were free to collaborate and experiment away from the world’s regular distractions. In addition to the work of Clyde Butcher, this exhibition also includes installations by Michael Covello and Unified Sounds.
Clyde Butcher: Nature’s Places of Spiritual Sanctuary is sponsored by Davis & Grim and funded in part by Orange County Government through the Arts & Cultural Affairs program.
Art31: Sanctuary Installation Artists
Friday, March 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm
As part of Art 31: Sanctuary - 31-days of experimentation and collaboration, additional art installations will be unveiled during March’s Culture Pop! Throughout the A&H campus, guests will have opportunities to interact with the artists and the art.
- Emmy-award-winning multimedia artist, Jill Taffet, showcases a light installation along the walls of the A&H’s Maitland Art Center (Displayed March 6, from 6:30 – 9 pm only)
- Installation artist Michael Covello showcases new work that incorporates a sound installation by Unified Sounds (Displayed March 6 – May 16)
- Nathalie Chikhi unveils an installation that will travel to various Central Florida art events throughout March 2015
- FACTUR, Orlando’s first maker space, builds a wiki house where guests can write their views of sanctuary on its walls (Displayed throughout March 2015)
- Artist Danielle DeGuglimo installs abstract structures on our majestic oak tree that appear to emerge from nature (Displayed throughout March 2015)
For additional details, visit the A&H’s Art31: Sanctuary website.